Home Africa News Drama As Furious Residents Dump Corpse At Police Station In Gweru, Accuse...

Drama As Furious Residents Dump Corpse At Police Station In Gweru, Accuse Police Of Beating Him To Death


There was drama and chaos in Gweru on Saturday, when angry relatives dumped a corpse at Monomutapa Police Station. Furious relatives and residents accused the police of beating to death, Tatenda Kasinyore, while he was detained in the police holding cells.

Kasinyore, who was popularly known as “Nyale”, was arrested by the police on Tuesday on allegations of disorderly conduct. He was alleged to have been throwing stones at people’s houses and gates.

Residents and relatives of Nyale are accusing the police of having brutally assaulted him when he tried to resist arrest. They claimed that Kasinyore died in the police holding cells and that the police denied them permission to see his remains after the incident.

The police have however denied the allegations that Kasinyore was beaten to death, insisting that at the time of his arrest he was under the influence of drugs. The police also said that Kasinyore died at the Gweru Provincial Hospital after he fell sick while detained in the police holding cells.

On Saturday, there was a spectacle when the angry relatives and residents dumped Kasinyore’s coffin in the middle of the road close to the Monomutapa Police Station and protested against the alleged police brutality which resulted in his death.

The police responded by firing teargas to disperse the mourners cum protesters. According to opposition MP for Gweru, Brian Dube of the MDC-T, the police also arrested at least 7 relatives following the coffin dumping incident. The police are accusing human rights activists and civil society organisation of instigating the protests after hijacking the funeral.

Speaking on the incident, Police national spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi told the Sunday news

According to the Covid-19 regulations, funeral gatherings are limited to 30 people. So we discovered that the people who had gathered for the funeral were exceeding 30 and police had to disperse people. On the other hand, we realised that there were some civil organisations and purported human rights activists who had taken advantage of the situation so, police had to maintain law and order,”

Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi denied that Kasinyore had been killed by the police. Explaining the circumstances leading to Nyale’s death, Assistant Commissioner Nyathi said,

“People in Mtapa called the police making a report of a person who was drunk and breaking window panes. The police arrested him and found him with drugs and he was drunk. They detained him and put him in a holding cell at Monomutapa Police Station. At around 4 am, some suspects sharing the cell with him alerted the police that he was vomiting before an ambulance was called. He died at Gweru Provincial Hospital,”

He also called on the public not to blame the police without evidence and revealed that police are carrying out further investigations into the matter

“The matter is being investigated by the police and the public should allow the ongoing investigations to proceed smoothly,” he said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here