While most people spent the better part of December 25 merry-making, it was a bleak day for an Inyati family in Jowa Village, who lost three girls to suffocation after inhaling dangerous and poisonous substances.
The girls, aged seven, one and five – whose bedroom was next to a shelled maize storeroom – died in their sleep when they inhaled Aluminium Phosphide 560TB fumigation tablets, police have confirmed.
“The victims suffocated after their parents had applied Aluminium Phosphide 560TB fumigation tablets on their shelled maize, stored the maize in a storeroom next to their bedroom and went to bed.
“During the night, the victim’s parents developed some health complications and when they checked on their children they discovered that they had already died,” reads part of the communique from police.
Police have urged members of the public to be cautious when using pesticides.